Sunday, August 15, 2010

Eminently Employable

Hi there!


More recently I have been busy with university- I am in my final semester of a degree in English and Classics, which has been really interesting! I really think that my presentation style, especially when it comes to discussion and essays has improved over the past few years because of this. I've even had an opportunity to do an editing project- we are transcribing war letters to be published online, which is very cool. It's fascinating, we're using XML as a mark-up language. I have a bunch of friends who like to programme, so it's pretty neat to have something else in common with them!


Something I love about university is the opportunity it's given me to socialise- I've been pretty active outside of university hours. I did Reefer Madness with the Musical Society earlier this year. I worked back-stage and it was the best and most exhausting time! We had a really small crew, so everyone relied on everyone else to get the props off and on stage in time. I've also been involved in Saga Inc., the uni gaming group, to the extent that this year I was voted Publications Officer, which involved writing a once-a-term print publication called Out Of Character. I really like doing it, it's great. I am responsible for distribution of the magazine as well as promoting club events, including Buckets Of Dice, which is the major gaming convention in the South Island, although we get people from as far-away as Sydney!


One of the things that I have found invaluable through all of this is the internet. Through my editing project, I have been researching online media, specifically the impact of the internet on scholarly editing. I think it's really great how our world is changing in this technological age, so the project has been a great way to watch this. The emphasis in the project has been making the internet something to be used rather than to be used by, and we have been trying to follow this up by using the university forums to discuss work. The internet has also been sterling in helping me keep in touch with my uni groups and collegues. For example, Facebook is useful to talk to class-mates about assignments, with the added bonus that other class-mates can chime in with opinions. I also like the immediacy of Facebook- I can post asking about an event, be it location, time, or dress-code, and have an answer within minutes. It also has allowed me to keep in touch with friends and relatives overseas. While I might not be able to blog as much as I would like, I can update my Facebook status in moments, as well as post interesting links for like-minded people- I found some of my favourite websites through Facebook. I also keep up with things like books and movies- I found Neil Gaiman's blog and e-mailed Tamora Pierce- and got a reply! =D


Having said that, my favourite way to write is with a fountain-pen, and I love a good book- usually sci-fi and fantasy, but I also enjoy classics like Thackeray, and Dickens. I like to experiment with baking, and occasionally try my hand at gardening, although results are varied!


If you were to select me for this role, I think that I would bring a fresh eye to your blog, as well as an accessible style. I love to craft and bake, and I have an opinion on everything! I hope that I would be able to inspire parents to take up their own craft or baking projects with their children, as well as encouraging a lively commentary- I like to spark off discussion, as you never know what you might learn! I like children too, and enjoy spending time with my friend's children. I used to be a leader at Rainbows, which is the Guide group for girls aged 5-7, and we did some excellent stuff, from making Mother's Day's cards to massive games of hide-and-seek, utilising the whole meeting place, and I hope to take it up again some day. I also pride myself on always doing what I say I'll do, and that in my entire time at university, I have never once missed a deadline. I also take responsibility for my own actions, and always see things through to the end, and do the best job I can.


I look forward to hearing from you in the future. My phone number is 0273917263 and I can be reached from about twelve noon (before that I am in lectures) =)

No comments: